|Introduction||Camp maps||Barracks||Little Britain||Barrack model|
Camp Layout: Camp maps
The Ruhleben Camp had several distinct areas including spaces for recreation, administration, and even gardening, as indicated on the map. Opened on December 24, 1915, the Y.M.C.A. Hall held about five hundred; during the day it was used for reading, study, and general gathering. The building also contained a chapel, the reference library, and several classrooms. The Casino, or administration building, contained offices and a restaurant for German staff and guests. Many of the public areas at Ruhleben -- such as Bond Street, Trafalgar Square, and Marble Arch -- were given nicknames after prominent locations in London. The Ruhleben Horticultural Society's Market Garden provided the Camp kitchen with fresh fruits and vegetables. Internees could also purchase the garden's proceeds to supplement their provided meals.